Thursday, January 3, 2013

Learning My Own Strength

There are a several instances in my life recently that have taught me I am really a lot stronger than I thought.

There is a fan light in the bedroom (no lamps).  The fan we leave on pretty much all the time; the light we turn on and off as needed.  A couple of weeks ago I reached up to turn off the light and was surprised to have the little ball chain come off in my hand!  And it came off up inside the mechanism itself, so there is no fixing it without replacement of at least the chain and maybe just the whole light.

Several days after that incident I was getting out of the Suburban and the handle snapped and came off in my hand (I don't remember if it was the same hand or not *LOL*).  The driver's door still opens from the inside, but you either have to have a strong finger and quick reflexes or put the window down, open the door from the outside and roll the window back up, which is nicer when it is not raining.  I was even more surprised when hubs informed me that the handle was made of cast iron!

I am Wonder Woman! *haha*

The hardest thing I've ever done required strength of a different nature.

I gave birth to our daughter when I was 41.  She was born at 32 weeks and weighed 3 lbs .4 oz at birth.  I had had gestational diabetes and PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension), so we knew she would be coming early....just not how early.  The doctor told us that T-girl would have to stay in the NICU until her original due date and until the time she weighed at least 5 lbs.  That meant nearly 8 weeks of not sleeping in the same place as my baby.  I would have to go back to work before she could come home.  Bar none, that experience required the most from me mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically.

The is a great story in its own.  When she was 3 days old, I had some elders from my church come into the NICU and give her a blessing.  After that, she progressed so rapidly, that she was able to come home at 22 days, and while she weighed less than 4 pounds!  Now she's standing beside me (literally), correcting my spelling and letting me know what she wants for her 10th birthday in about a month!

*+*+*+*+*

Question(s):

1.  What are your strengths?

2.  What strengths would you like to develop?

*+*+*+*+*

Let's Get Social Sunday

5 comments:

  1. We sure do have many inner strengths that we never realize we possessed until such times in are lives arise before us. How nice to have a "spell checker" from all this strength ten years later *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to smile at the car handle breaking. It's amazing what can break under pressure applied in the right way. Did you know that a ketchup bottle will literally explode if you slam it down? Yeah....lesson learned there.

    I am sure I have inner strengths, we all do but at the moment I can't name one that stands out. It's like I don't know it's there until I need it.

    I would like to be stronger in my self-motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cindy. She is my little paleontologist (what she says she will be when she grows up). BTW, I'm still jealous of that coffee store. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Felicia, I will remember that about the ketchup! (Sounds like something I'd do.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post. I can't believe the car handle came off. Can't wait to read more. Your newest follower from Let's Get Social. :)

    Kathy @ lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

    ReplyDelete